Saturday, February 03, 2007

Movie Review: Cape Fear (1991)

This was my first time seeing Martin Scorsese's Cape Fear. The fact that Scorsese directed it was the reason I put it on my Netflix queue.

Cape Fear is a remake of a 1962 movie by the same name. Both are based on a book by John D. Macdonald titled The Executioners. I remember my Dad having several of Macdonald's books, but I have not read any of Macdonald's books. However, I subscribe to the belief that one does not need to read the book on which a movie is based -- on can approach a movie adapted from a book based on its own merits; the director should not feel compelled to require viewers to have read the book nor feel bound to satisfy fans of the book. This remake features several stars from the 1962 version in different roles.

I have also not seen the 1962 version, but I have read that the character of Sam Bowden is played as a less-flawed character trying to defend his family from a crazy man by the name of Max Cady. In this remake by Scorsese, Bowden is presented as a character who has his own flaws. In other words, there is no hero in this movie that wears a white cap and prevails in the end. This is typical not only of Scorsese but other movies of this time made by movie creaters who do not subscribe to the belief that right and wrong are so black and white.

I also read that this movie was being made around the same time as Schindler's List and that Scorsese had been originally tapped to direct it and Steven Spielberg was to direct Cape Fear. Scorsese felt Spielberg was more suited to Schindler's List and so they swapped films. That got me thinking, though, how Schindler's List would have turned out with Scorsese at the helm.

In Scorsese's directorial resume, Cape Fear comes just after Goodfellas and before The Age of Innocence. This movie was definitely sub-par for Scorsese considering the quality of Goodfellas. Many of Scorsese's directorial touches can be seen, but they seem less refined rather than more.

I did not know much about the movie going into it. It has its scary moments and it made me look in the dark corners that night. It is not scary overtly so much, and I see that the 1962 version is even less overt -- but the scaryness is still there.

The most memorable and creepy scene is the one ad-libbed and gotten right on the first take by Robert De Niro and Juliette Lewis where Max lures Danielle to a secluded part of her school. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole scene waiting for De Niro to attack.

As far as casting goes, I think De Niro plays the part sufficiently, but it is nothing spectacular. Nick Nolte was a second choice, and I believe Harrison Ford would have played the part better and may have stolen the spotlight from De Niro. Jessica Lange and Juliette Lewis both played their parts well.

Overall, this film was average. I enjoyed it, but it was nothing that stood out either from a directorial standpoint or acting standpoint.

Star rating: ** out of ****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home